We left the beach hotel today and picked up the IIAB technology from Edinaman Senior High School to bring back to Kathryn's and run some tests. According to Adam, the server had been running slower than desired over the weekend. Once we got back to Kathryn's, my dad replaced some of the thinner wires with the thick wire we purchased last week in Ghana. We also set up the Axim IIAB to test at the same time, and Tim was able to get Khan Academy working on the Edinaman server (previously it said the "page was not found" when clicked on). Even better, this fix means that the SIM card in the Netgear modem is working because Tim and Adam are successfully able to access the server through it from Canada and the United States. By the end of the call, both servers were working very well!